Friday, April 4

Going from Ruth to Boaz

Toward the end of our eating on a dollar a day, I read the book of Ruth and was struck by its beauty. (If you have not read Ruth recently, you can read it here.)

It is a glorious story of love, faith, and redemption that foreshadows Jesus. Ruth, a foreign widowed woman, moves to Bethlehem with her widowed mother-in-law Naomi. Unable to provide food for themselves, Ruth gathers leftover grain in one of the fields. Boaz, the owner of the field, eventually marries Ruth, and from their children comes the lineage of David, which is the line of Christ.

What a great picture! As I read through the book, two major points stuck out to me:

  1. Ruth is incredibly needy.
  2. Boaz is a gracious provider.

Of course, these aren't incredibly profound observations, but they meant a lot to me in light of my eating position.

I was Ruth.

I bet everyone has felt like her at some point: incredibly needy. Maybe not with food, but somehow in great need. But it is a great comfort to see that just as Boaz steps in and provides for Ruth, Christ steps in and provides for me.

In some sense, I am always Ruth. Jesus will always be my redeemer in that way, and I am forever grateful.


Still, I couldn't help but notice one part of chapter three. It reads:

Then [Ruth] told [Naomi] everything
Boaz had done for her and added,
"He gave me these six measures of barley, saying,
'Don't go back to your mother-in-law empty-handed.'"


I wondered then,

"When am I Boaz?"


In relation to Christ, I am always Ruth, always the one in great need. But in relation to other people, sometimes I am in a position of neediness and other times I am in a position to provide.

Sometimes I have six measures of barley to give.

As I closed the final week of our experience eating sparsely (as Ruth), I realized I was about to re-enter a state of comparative wealthiness (as Boaz). There is nothing wrong with being Boaz, as long as I give to the Ruths around me. I can't let them go empty-handed.

When I am Ruth, I must be willing to accept giving. When I am Boaz, I must be willing to give.

My giving need not be great, but it must be willing. After all, it only really takes A Dollar to Remember.


1 comment:

Cathy said...

Hi Nathan. Just an update for you.

Next Sunday, Apr 13th is going to be a missions focus. We will be showing a video from Blood:Water and bringing the challenge to our local community.

We're also possibly planning a trip to Kenya at the end of Nov 2008 (Lord willing) and noticed that Blood:Water does alot of work there. We've sent an email out to them so just waiting for a reply.

The National Fast Track relay (I think I sent you the info via Facebook if not just type in National Fast Track and it will take you to the group) ends here in Vancouver at the end of November and we'd like to go global with the "baton" ..

This is the kind of fast that God chooses:

Isaiah 58:6-7 (New Life Version) Is not the time without eating which I choose, a time to take off the chains of sin, and to take the heavy load of sin off the neck? Is it not a time to let those who suffer under a sinful power go free, and to break every load from their neck? Is it not a time to share your food with the hungry, and bring the poor man into your house who has no home of his own? Is it not a time to give clothes to the person you see who has no clothes, and a time not to hide yourself from your own family?