Monday, March 3

Day 27: Shaking Pyramids

I bought new shampoo and antiperspirant today. But my pyramid didn't fall.

I love it when I run out of bathroom products and get to buy new ones. I usually buy something I've never tried. It's almost exciting to break my daily routine with a fresh scent or feel.

[To clarify, Laura and I have decided to live on a dollar-a-day in food. But all else stays as before--shampoo, lightbulbs, gasoline, etc.]

As I stood at the register with my purchases, I looked at the total (about $6.00) and realized this was almost as much as I pay for a week of food!

I realized then that my pyramid wasn't right.

In psychology classes, we see Maslow's hierarchy of needs often. The pyramid Maslow developed shows that people prioritize to satisfy our most base needs before continuing on to satisfy needs higher on the pyramid.


A Dollar a Day concerns a most base physiological need: food. According to the pyramid, this should profoundly shake the rest of of the levels. Yet in the rest of my life, I still continue my college education, read newspapers, foster friendships... and buy shampoo.

The rest of my pyramid is still intact in spite of my food needs. While this is true for me, it is not necessarily true for people who normally live on a just dollar. Why worry about developing creativity when they need to focus on where their next meal will come from?

As hard as this process has been for me, I see that it could be so much more difficult.

I am thankful for all the levels of my own pyramid. Still, I can't help but think about those whose pyramids are shaking.

1 comment:

Today: In Seven said...

Wow, what an amazing thing to do! I will try to read your previous blogs and see how you're doing it. I'm very interested to see how it goes.

At my blog I ask people to tell me about their day in seven words or less. Just leave me a comment with your seven words, you can do it anonymously. If you'd rather not, then have a nice day.

http://todayinseven.blogspot.com