Thursday, March 6

Day 30: Can't Afford to Eat Healthy

Processed or imitation.

I haven't had real meat or cheese for the past month. I can't afford it. The cheaper foods are often artificial, and consequently, pretty unhealthy.




Laura and I talked about how difficult it is for poor people to eat healthy.

They don't have much money... so they can't eat right... which leads to health problems... and continued loss of money... so they still can't afford to eat healthy.

It's an out-of-control downward spiral. It's been a struggle for Laura and I during this time, looking for affordable healthy options. I can only imagine what it must be like for entire families who live this way--especially ones with growing children.

"Sometimes it's the only decision they can make when the rent is due," says one researcher.

[See a full article on the subject, "Who Can Afford to Eat Right?" from ABC news.]


On a lighter note, I was able to find a few healthy foods marked down for various reasons. Here are my groceries for this week:

No comments: