Saturday, March 1

Day 25: Refugees in their Own Country

"What are you going to do with the money you save on food?"

I've been hearing this question a lot lately. When I only spend a dollar a day, it's a legitimate question.

When Laura and I have finished, a good part of the savings will go to the Kenya Relief Project through the UWEZA Care Foundation (visit their website for a passionate video and an explanation of the country situation).

Laura actually knows some of the people supported by this fund from her summer in Kenya. The following video is of Teacher Grace, a widowed mother of four, who taught classes at the school where Laura worked. Teacher Grace has since fled her home because of uproar in Kenya over the recent elections in the country.




I have been following the U.S. political coverage the past couple months. We have a monumental election coming, so it makes sense to have so much news coverage on it. Our government system is fascinating and wonderful to me.

Still, I am saddened by the fact that the Kenya election, which resulted in hundreds of deaths and thousands fleeing their homes, gets so little attention in comparison. These are people.

I love our country. But I see how selfish I have become sometimes.



Laura and Anne in Nairobi


No comments: