Thursday, March 20

Day 44: Tasting Spring

Today is officially the first day of spring.

I've never been good with poetry, but I think 17th century poet Anne Bradstreet had some profound words on spring:

"If we had no winter,
the spring would not be so pleasant.
If we did not sometimes taste of adversity,
prosperity would not be so welcome."


So true. Now that I've taste the wintry side of poverty, I know that once I am able to eat again, it will be as welcome and pleasant as spring. Oddly, the wintry experience makes the spring even sweeter.

Still, once my day of spring arrives in a couple days, I don't want to forget what it was like in winter. I hope to continue to see poverty in this new light.

This is why I was so glad to find freerice.com, an organization that lets us help fight poverty around the world simply through the power of supporter advertising. (It's also helpful to build our vocabulary. Win-win situation!)


Here's a short video on the project:


While I am tasting spring, I want to help those still in winter.

1 comment:

Cathy said...

Thanks so much for taking me though this journey with you and inviting me to join you part of the way..its been amazing just these past two weeks! Only a few days left..

You both are a real inspiration :)

Blessings..