Monday, March 10

Day 34: I Cannot Do It

I've been thinking a lot about injustice lately. But I was reading in Genesis this morning, and I think few people have experienced as much injustice as Joseph did.

  • His brothers sold him to traveling merchants out of jealousy (37:28)
  • He was thrown into prison because he refused to sleep with Pharaoh's wife (39:20)
  • He was forgotten by a man who might have be the key to his freedom (40:23)

Still, one small phrase stood out to me as I read Joseph's story.

Just before he is restored to second-in-command over all of Egypt, he is brought before Pharaoh, the man in charge. Pharaoh asks Joseph to interpret his recent dreams. Joseph can. We've seen him rightly interpret dreams many times already so far. Yet he responds to Pharaoh like this:

"I cannot do it, but God will give Pharaoh the answer he desires."





I suppose in some ways I understand that moment. Even though I have less than two weeks left for eating on a dollar a day, I feel like I don't have the strength left to make it.

Maybe that's the whole point. I cannot do it.

But my God can. And He will pull me through.

1 comment:

Graduate Psychology Prep said...

I want to encourage you two to keep on keeping on with your A Dollar to Remember march.

I realize it's hard... probably harder than I realize... but hang in there I'm pulling and praying for you.