Monday, February 25

Day 20: Cheer Up

In light of the negative emotions I wrote about yesterday, I just ran across an enlightening comment that resonated with me. It comes from The Celebration of Discipline by Richard Foster. He writes on the fasting experience:

"At first we will rationalize that our anger is due to our hunger. And then, we know that we are angry because the spirit of anger is within us. We can rejoice in this knowledge because we know that healing is available through the power of Christ."

This is both a sobering and freeing thought. It reminds me of a popular truism that my mentor often says:

"Cheer up!
You are more sinful and flawed
than you ever dared believe,
yet you are more accepted and loved
than you ever dared hope
because Jesus lived and died in your place."


I love that.

No comments: