Wednesday, February 27

Day 22: The Big (little) Give

Lately I've been noticing promotions for Oprah Winfrey's new show, The Big Give, set to premiere this Sunday, March 2.

The concept sounds interesting: Ten competitors are challenged to use a bundle of cash to change strangers' lives in the most innovative ways. They have to give big--until only one competitor is left.

This sounds great. Philanthropy is much needed, and I think this show promotes that. Still, I am left with one question:

What about the little give?


When I first heard about the show, I thought of the story of the widow's offering in Mark 12. As many people enter the temple and give their sizable offerings, a poor widow enters. She gives two small coins (worth less than a penny). But it was all she had. And Jesus commends her action.

I witnessed an example of this first hand the other day.

For some unexplainable reason during this time of dollar-a-day living, I have been craving Cheez-Its. (See my earlier post on this.) Still, Laura and I have decided that we will only eat the things we are able to buy on this amount.

So I had come to terms with the fact that I won't be able to eat them. That is, until recently.

Sunday night, Laura said she'd bought me a gift. When I opened my eyes, there was a little bag of Cheez-Its. I knew how much a personal sacrifice it was for her to buy it (since we can't really afford much on our tight budget), so that little bag meant a lot.

Just like the widow's two coins.

I realize that giving costs. If I haven't met any cost, I haven't really given. I imagine that Oprah's new show will be heartwarming, but I'm also glad for a mini bag of Cheez-Its and two small coins.



1 comment:

Cathy said...

Interesting to note that an article I read today listed obesity and overeating as the number one threat to the health of Western civilization..not terrorism..