Friday, February 8

Day 3: Craving Pepperoni and Faith

I've never wanted a pizza more than I do now.

Cravings are really starting to crack down on me. Foods seem to smell ten times more tantalizing than they used to. Last night, a buddy of mine ordered in some pepperoni rolls, and it was tough to just say, "No, thanks," when he asked if I wanted some.

I DID want some. Badly.

I wonder if people who really eat on a dollar a day ever feel like this. I somehow doubt it, but if so, I'll bet they feel it less often at least. I image part of my cravings have come from the sudden yanking of the rug out from under me. One day I could anything I wanted; the next I couldn't. I won't reach a sense of homeostasis until after this stage of "detox."

Still, it's humbling to think of their contentedness. While it may become natural, I can't image it's ever quite easy. I am awed by their unyeilding persistence and their trust in God to provide for them daily. I hope to one day have that kind of faith.

This is my deepest craving.

Until then, I'll just have my third bowl of beans and rice. I've actually kind of come to like it (although I doubt I'll have a beans-and-rice craving anytime soon).

No comments: