Tuesday, February 12

Day 7: Bean Vending Machines

No more Kit Kats. Or jerky strips. Or Chex mix.

I passed by a string of vending machines on the way to class today and stopped to look at one of them. I guess I'd never thought about just how pricey things were getting until now. A bag of M&M's would have been a whole day's meal for me.



But I don't miss the foods as much as I miss the convenience.

It would be nice to be able to put in a dime and get a bowl of rice or a nickel for a handful of beans. A Dollar to Remember basically cut out my on-the-go eating habits. "Fast food" doesn't exist on this sort of budget.

I don't mean to complain. I just notice that this whole Dollar thing has required a lot more sacrifice than I originally expected. My daily foods are different, of course. But so is my social life, my time scheduling, my morning rituals. It's changed a lot of my life.

This isn't as easy as pressing D4 on the keypad.

But maybe that's a good thing.

No comments: