Saturday, February 9

Day 4: Dodging the Question

I've found creative ways around it.

For A Dollar to Remember, I can't afford to eat most foods, but I'd prefer that people didn't know it. I've discovered just how much I don't like saying those four words: "I can't afford it." I met a friend for breakfast this morning and another guy for coffee this afternoon. I couldn't afford either one.

Here are some of the things I've already said to dodge the question, "Why don't you eat something?":

  • I'm fine with just my water bottle. (true)

  • I just had lunch, and I couldn't eat another thing. (mostly true, but for other reasons)

  • I'm meeting with someone later. (true, but not for lunch)

  • I need to eat the food I've got at home. (true)

  • I'm not really hungry. (sometimes true)


I guess I don't like admitting my own poverty.

I'm ashamed that I'm ashamed.

No comments: